[TYPO3-performance] TYPO3 4.4 Backend/JavaScript Performance on IE7/8 on older PCs

Thomas "Thasmo" Deinhamer thasmo at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 17:40:38 CEST 2010

Hello folks,

some days ago I upgraded a TYPO3 installation of one of our customers to
4.4. Today the customer told me, that on his company's machines/PCs the
new backend is unusable slow on IE7/8, like they're waiting 20 to 30
seconds for a backend page to load. Before 4.4, on 4.3, it was a lot
better and the backend was responsible and useable for them.

They can't use any other browser because they're network
settings/profiles forces them to use IE and they can't install a faster
browser.

I'm wondering if there are javascript performance problems or even
memory leaks/problems in the new backend which could cause this?!

I've e.g. just noticed that IE7/8 used more and more memory after I open
backend pages where the RTE is beeing loaded. Unfortunately I'm not at
the customer's place and can't really test what the problem may be. (So
I'm not sure if the RTE is the bad guy, I just noticed that the memory
consumption raised when loading the RTE multiple times.)

As for myself I also noticed, that the backend got slower in firefox 3.6
using TYPO3 4.4 compared to 4.3.

Are ther any plans to debug the backend related to performance
improvements? Anybody out there having the same problems? I'm not into
JS a lot, but is there maybe an easy way to debug the backend for JS
"problems" or memory leaks?

Maybe the problem is just the memory consumption which slows down their
quite old PCs.

Thanks a lot for your help,
Thomas