[TYPO3-performance] No results with eaccelerator

Per Sikker Hansen per at clioonline.dk
Fri Oct 16 11:43:37 CEST 2009

Hello, I'm trying to optimize our Typo3-installation and stumbled across
eAccelerator. I tried it at home on my private installation (Lighttpd
with CodeIgniter, a very different setup I know) and experienced a
tremendous rise in the amount of requests(from 160 to 585 r/s). However,
on our company's production server, running Apache2 as webserver and
Typo3 as CMS, eAccelerator yields no increase in performance whatsoever.

The results before eAccelerator:

	Concurrency Level: 10
	Time taken for tests: 59.211 seconds
	Complete requests: 1000
	Failed requests: 0
	Write errors: 0
	Total transferred: 142737000 bytes
	HTML transferred: 142447000 bytes
	Requests per second: 16.89 #/sec (mean)
	Time per request: 592.106 [ms] (mean)
	Time per request: 59.211 [ms] (mean, across all concurrent requests)
	Transfer rate: 2354.17 [Kbytes/sec] received

The results after eAccelerator:

	Concurrency Level: 10
	Time taken for tests: 59.312 seconds
	Complete requests: 1000
	Failed requests: 0
	Write errors: 0
	Total transferred: 142737000 bytes
	HTML transferred: 142447000 bytes
	Requests per second: 16.86 #/sec (mean)
	Time per request: 593.122 [ms] (mean)
	Time per request: 59.312 [ms] (mean, across all concurrent requests)
	Transfer rate: 2350.13 [Kbytes/sec] received

As you can se, there's actually a decrease, however slight, in the
amount of requests per second. My eaccelerator.ini is as follows:

	extension="eaccelerator.so"
	eaccelerator.shm_size=2000
	eaccelerator.cache_dir="/var/cache/eaccelerator"
	eaccelerator.enable="1"
	eaccelerator.optimizer="1"
	eaccelerator.check_mtime="1"
	eaccelerator.debug=0
	eaccelerator.filter=""
	eaccelerator.shm_max="0"
	eaccelerator.shm_ttl="5"
	eaccelerator.shm_prune_period="0"
	eaccelerator.shm_only="1"
	eaccelerator.compress="1"
	eaccelerator.compress_level="9"

I've checked with phpinfo() and eAccelerator is in fact loaded after an
apache restart.

The bottom line is that I'm not satisfied with these results and wonders
if any of you know ways to improve them with eaccelerator?

Thanks in advance
~ Per