[TYPO3-performance] Super simple mod_rewrite config, super fast backend!

Michiel Roos [netcreators] michiel at netcreators.com
Thu May 7 13:10:15 CEST 2009

Hi,

Yesterday is occured to me that it is nonsense to have mod_rewrite
figure out if it has to rewrite stuff or not.

It is better not to bother mod_rewrite with static items at all.

What do we not want to push through mod_rewrite?
- /typo3/*
- /typo3conf/*
- /typo3temp/*
- /fileadmin/*
- /uploads/*
- /clear.gif
- /favicon.ico
- /index.php

The rest (all realurl uri's) we DO want to push through to mod_rewrite.

We no longer need mod_rewrite to check if something is a file, dir or
link. Since all we push through is realurl stuff.

This gives us the following snippet for inclusion in your vhost
configuration:

  <LocationMatch
"^/(?!(typo3(/|conf|temp)|fileadmin|uploads|t3lib|clear.gif|index.php|favicon.ico))">
    RewriteEngine on
    RewriteRule .* /index.php [PT]
  </LocationMatch>

You can now disable .htaccess in vhosts (AllowOverride None).

You can see a big difference between rewrite activity if you turn on
rewrite logging.

Speed improvements are hard to measure here

Old config:

New config:

Comments? Test results?

--