[TYPO3-Performance] mysql performance

Christoph Mayer typo308 at php-design.de
Fri Jul 11 11:22:55 CEST 2008

Hi performance list,

I have a question to mysql performance with this example (this is just a
example to explain and not real):

My website has altogether 20 possible $_GET parameters and I want to log all
$_GET params of each click in a table. Every click has just a few an not all
$_GET params. So I think I have two possibilities for the table design:

1. table with 20 fields for all parameters
or
2. table with field for url_id and 2 extra fields for key and value

Example URLs:
http://www.example.org/index.php?param_1=test&param_4=typo3&param_5=ok
http://www.example.org/index.php?param_1=mysql&param_3=radio

Table Design 1
Id | param_1 | param_2 | param_3 | param_4 | param_5 | param_6 ... param_20
1  |   test  |         |         |  typo3  |   ok    |
2  |  mysql  |         |  radio  |         |         |

Table Design 2
Id | url_id  |   key   |  value
--------------------------------
1  |    1    | param_1 |  test
2  |    1    | param_4 |  typo3
3  |    1    | param_5 |  ok
4  |    2    | param_1 |  mysql
5  |    2    | param_3 |  radio

So which table design is better in order to get a performante table?
- table design 1 has only one entry to each click but a lot of empty fields
- table design 2 has several entries to each click but no empty fields

thank you for that help
- Christoph -