[TYPO3-Performance] General questions

Ingo Renner ingo at typo3.org
Tue Aug 5 11:16:42 CEST 2008

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] wrote:

Hi Dmitry,

> In my opinion we should take a profiler and see what takes most time.
> Then we should optimize those areas. Removing queries will pop up in
> this process for sure. But we should get a picture what is slowest first.

as already pointed out - after actually using a profiler I think that
the many include()s are very slow, next come the many queries.

There're however more areas one can tweak things. You'll definitly spot
them when using a profiler.

> I think it is another planning problem in TYPO3... :( I think workspaces
> were created as experiment with excitement. There were no really
> planning for them. I think it was like patching one place, then another
> place, then yet another... As a result, workspaces are spread over core
> without any way of removing them. Checks and queries are everywhere and
> they run always, even if web site do not use them. Changing it would be
> difficult.

but doable!

> There's more to this... For example, I have comments extension. When
> comment is added to the news item, I must to show this comment. There
> are two ways:
> - make comments USER_INT (non-cacable), which is bad by itself because
> in most cases comments are read, not created.
> - clear cache for the news item. That's perfect solution except...
> Except that it is impossible :( I can only clear cache for the whole
> page. So if I got 10000 items in cache, I have to clear them all once I
> change one item.

review and vote +1 for the new caching framework on the core list and
we'll make it possible.

>> I fear that (as so often) we work hard and the desperately needed
>> patches are lost in someones mailbox (happened to me 4 times, so
>> attempt 5 has to work, otherwise I gotta do my own thing).
>
> That's why we have bug tracker ;)

exactly!

>> So I'd like to have one "official" coredev in charge of the results of
>> all this discussion.

just write down all your findings and put them into bugs.t3o, we'll then
take care of it. Promissed!

> We do not have official developer for performance, neither we have a
> performance team. I made some performance-related changes and I think
> Ingo plans something.
>
> I am good at optimizing queries, so I can do that for TYPO3.

That'd for sure be great if we had some kind of "SQL expert".

Ingo

--
Ingo Renner