[TYPO3-Performance] General questions

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] dmitry at typo3.org
Mon Aug 4 10:55:51 CEST 2008

Hi!

Mathias Schreiber [TYPO3] wrote:
> I'll try it with numbers then:
> Does compressing 10.000 mysql queries make TYPO3 faster than just
> sending 120 queries?
>
> You see, the problem is that TYPO3 does too may queries which are not
> needed.

Ok. Do you want to go and get rid of those queries in any close time? I doubt so. This will require at least a month of full time work. So I proposed you the immediate working solution for the current TYPO3 version.

> So my point is to work on stuff we KNOW, not what we "think it might be".

I do not just think. I know. That's the point.

> And then static file caching.

Well, I did not ask you to use static file caching. I asked you to enabling caching pages to files. See the difference?

> I think it is dangerous to claim that uncached content isn't a problem
> if it takes ages to render, because everything is good once it is cached.

No one claimed it.

> My intention is to get rid of stuff that is happening before a page is
> being cached.

Not possible without disabling lots of TYPO3 functionality. Optimization is possible. Getting rid of that "stuff" is not.

> P.S. If you all want to have some fun, set up a website with TYPO3 3.5.
> I did for fun and it does exactely the same thing as 4.2.0 but is three
> times faster :)

You know why? ;) For example, get rid of some workspace queries in the core and you will see a performance increase.

> P.P.S. less personal attacks would be highly appreciated

I simply a bit frustrated. I give you solutions because I know that they are tested and work. You doubt it and reply with theories that are not proved by anything. I tell you to use file-based caching and you confuse it with static files... How should it look from here? Sorry if my previous mail looked rude. But you had a problem with performance, I tried to help. Asking for help and refusing to accept it does not look right.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 Core team