[TYPO3-Performance] General questions

Mathias Schreiber [TYPO3] mathias at typo3.org
Fri Aug 1 08:22:33 CEST 2008

Luc de Louw schrieb:
> Mathias Schreiber [TYPO3] wrote:
> [..]
>
>> Ok, maybe I didn't make myself clear enough...
>> Put Apache & Mysql on one machine... big problem.
>> Seperate both, still big problem.
>> Set up 4 Apaches all accessing the same Mysql Server, Problem gone.
>
> Thats kind of strange... Is the load on the Apache server CPU or I/O
> bound? If it is the later one: With some file system tweaking (noatime
> etc) and Apache tweaking (AllowSymLinks, favico etc) you can gain quite
> some performance.

As far as I can tell (no Linux Guru) CPU was the problem.

> Would be interesting to dig down the rabbit hole to find the root cause.

Seperating DB and Apache made one thing quite easy to see...
Within a week the DB server and Apaches have exchanged 220GB of data -
which is three times the effective traffic of webpages being delivered.

And since the MySQL machine keeps yawning at 5% CPU I think it is pretty
obvious whats going on.

First step is not to speed up the mySQL queries but simply reducing them.

If we would stick to the idea to NOT use DBAL for the core we could do
stuff like views and SPROC to build lookup tables.

It would speed up TYPO3 a LOT if we just had a lookup table for rootlines.
Pages are not being inserted that often, so building a simple table in
this format "uid,page_id,rootline_as_serialized_array" would drastically
reduce the number of DB calls.

The only DB I am really good at is SQL server.
Does anyone know if mysql5 is able to update or insert into views?

How does mysql handle views? Are they generated on the fly or updated
whenever a table used by the view changes?

btw.. good discussion guys, keep it up :)

--
T3A AM
Rocking TYPO3 since 3.1b1