[TYPO3-english] Major background issues

Philipp Gampe philipp.gampe at typo3.org
Fri Jun 14 11:31:14 CEST 2013

Hi marina t,

marina t wrote:

> I confess the above makes no sense to me. What is an md5-value? Why
> should I know it?

It is a cryptography hash function used to store the password of the install
tool.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Md5

You can change the install tool password by hand by changing the mentioned
value in the typo3conf/Localconfiguration file. You can save the md5 hash of
your own password there in case you forgot it.

The default password is "joh316" as mentioned in the message.

If the install TYPO3 the first time, it will not ask your for a password,
but redirect you directly to the install tool step wizard as mention by
Richard.
However this way is locked after trying it once for security reasons.

> Also, as you mention your database password - when are you required
> to enter it, and how do you get it? I couldn't find any way to set up
> the database while installing TYPO3, so evidently I am missing some
> fundamental steps (or required skill!)

You will be asked for it by the step wizard.

If you missed the step wizard you can either jump into it directly via
typo3/install/index.php?mode=123&step=1&password=joh316

or you can enter it in the basic configuration section. If you do the later,
then you will need to go to the database section, compare the database to
create all tables, import the static data and create an admin user.
The step wizard will take care of that in one go if this sounds to
complicated.

Best regards
TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!