[TYPO3-english] is TYPO3 moving away from global extensions?

Philipp Gampe typo3.lists at philippgampe.info
Thu Mar 29 15:26:33 CEST 2012

Hi Sergey,

Sergey Alexandrov wrote:

> What's the difference between having a symlink and global extension
> directory installation then?

Because a symlink can link to a different version:

So you can have something like:
Sources/
  Extensions/
    News/
      1.0/
      2.3/
      2.4/
  Core/
    4.4/
    4.5/

And inside your typo3conf/ext/, you can then link to a specific version.

Updating all of them is then a matter of changing the symlink which can be
automated with a shell script. Depending on the update, you must change DB
or even templates anyway, so you have to touch each installation manually.
And if you don't, then just use a shell script like above.

You should do then extension updates the same way as the core update,
because they are just another kind of package. FLOW3 makes this much more
clear, but conceptually, this is no difference between core and extensions.

Additionally, the typo3/ext/ directory is inside the source which should be
write protected. The is a conceptual bug which would need to be tackled
anyway. That means using typo3/ext/ is strongly discouraged.

> We also have 100+ websites running off the same source. "Global"
> extension installation has some advantages and ext. maintenance is the
> one of them.

But they do not share a common localconf.php, do they? The installed
extensions are specific for each installation and as such belong to
typo3conf/. Using symlinks, you can share the extension source the same way
as the core source.

> How do you update/bugfix an extension if there are hundreds of them
> installed locally? So, you'll have to put ext. in  the same folder for
> diff. sites, right? And create symlink, right?
> But we already have this functionality as "global" ext. folder! Why jump
> through the loop?

Because the global folder is inside the source and you force the same
version on all of them.

> On 3/29/2012 8:32 AM, Philipp Gampe wrote:
>>   I do not see a single point in having global extensions that would
>> justify the many problems you get with this approach. Best regards

Best regards
--
Philipp Gampe – PGP-Key 0AD96065 – TYPO3 UG Bonn/Köln – linkvalidator