[TYPO3-english] TYPO3 6.0 at the corner? How is it possible

Kay Strobach typo3 at kay-strobach.de
Mon Mar 5 21:07:28 CET 2012

Hello Steffen

Am 05.03.2012 18:54, schrieb Steffen Ritter:
> Major Feature Release   6.0.0
> Bugfix/Security Release 6.0.1
> Minor Feature Release   6.1.0 (as we do know)
> Bugfix/Security Release 6.1.1

I do understand that, as this was normal version scheme before flow3.

I had talks to many clients in the last days about versioning chaos,
which they had seen in the mailinglist - yes also customers may use nntp
readers! - and in the news.

Many of them use Ubuntu and the scheme is very well known, as it's bound
to the release month - i think you know it.

BTW: The funniest question in the last days:

	"Was version five such a barrel burst (german rohrkrepierer),
		that the project has been totally skipped?!"

To reply to Jigals bugfix question:

	Beta:   12.04-beta1
	RC:     12.04-rc1
	Stable: 12.04
	Bugfix: 12.04-1 (or similar)

This scheme would also have the following positive effects:
1. natural high version numbers, with i++ every year
2. people see how old their installed version is, sometimes helps to
   argue for an update.

Finally
Every new version (beside a bugfix) is a Major Version for me!

I don't want to fight/blame you personally - i like the job you do as
release manager, but the version decision is a no go!

Regards
Kay

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!
Get involved: http://typo3.org