[TYPO3-english] TYPO3 6.0 at the corner? How is it possible

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Mon Mar 5 15:56:25 CET 2012

Hi Frederico,

On 5-3-2012 14:35, Federico Bernardin wrote:
> Il giorno 05/mar/2012, alle ore 13:44, Jigal van Hemert ha scritto:
>> - [some new name] will be the successor of TYPO3 but because a lot
>> of concepts and features are different it will not be a matter of a
>> simple Upgrade Wizard; it's more something to build a relaunch of a
>> web site with (once [some new name] is a usable CMS)
>
> IMHO Phoenix (or [somenew name]) is built on concept very different
> from the current. For these reasons TYPO3v4 (or next versions) should
> continue to be developed regardless of the version based on FLOW3 (it
> will be [some new name] 1.0).

That will certainly happen and was also announced years ago in the
"Berlin Manifesto". TYPO3 will continue to be developed when [some new
name] is released. How long this will continue nobody knows. This really
depends on the number of developers who still want to develop it and how
many customers/user still want it after some time.

>> - TYPO3 v5.x will be skipped because there are a lot of references
>> to it in various publications of the past years. If we would use it
>> for TYPO3 and not for [some new name] there would be too much
>> confusion.
>
> I think it is wrong to leave a hole in the number of versions. For
> those unfamiliar with TYPO3 (or very little) is not clear why one
> version has been omitted. I personally would continue in the version
> number and the future major release of TYPO3 should be version 5 and
> not 6.

Search online for TYPO3 v5 and you'll find more than 150.000 pages. How
confusing will that be for those unfamiliar with TYPO3 if they install
5.0 and search for a solution for their problem. All they find is
information about concepts for [some new name]...

It might be suboptimal, but at least not as confusing as unrelated
information in web searches.

--
Kind regards / met vriendelijke groet,

Jigal van Hemert.