[TYPO3-english] 4.6.0 compatibility

Steffen Gebert steffen.gebert at typo3.org
Fri Oct 28 12:46:18 CEST 2011

Hi,

> Well, 4.6.0 breaks compatibility with some extensions and leaves it to
> the admin to find out if and which those may be. That just doesn't cut
> it. I can't go through a long list of extensions and check if
> everything still works. The least one would expect if such a drastic
> step has been taken is to support the admin in identifying what is and
> isn't still working, through the log or the extension manager.

Jigal already pointed it out, why it is not dramatic at all.

The fault is yours and the extension authors (to formulate it a bit
exaggerated):
* Extension author is responsible for testing his extension and setting
the version dependencies correctly.
* Your job as user/integrator/developer to make sure that everything is
compatible when upgrading to a new software. This is not limited to
TYPO3, but e.g. also applies to your operating system.

Or should the core team (to precise: the hand full of active members)
review 5000 extensions?

Don't get me wrong, but it's just the usual thing of "upgrading software".

Kind regards
Steffen

--
Steffen Gebert