[TYPO3-english] Trying to understand the "select" property better

Ernesto Domato edomat at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 18:11:07 CEST 2011

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 12:49, Jigal van Hemert <jigal at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> TSRef states that the default value for pidInList is 'this'.
>
> The next property of select it describes is 'recursive':
> "Recursive levels for the pidInList", default: 0
>
> So, theoretically you could use
> select {
>  pidInList = 1  #the root pid of your site
>  recursive = 999
> }
>
> This would however cause the core to build a list of *all* pids below the
> root pid and add that to the query. (something like:
> SELECT ..... WHERE ..... AND pid IN (1,3,2,15,16,17,23,....,231,513)
>
> This is not something to recommend.
>
> Be smart with the select and figure out where the data is located, and if
> necessary use a small recursive number.

Ok, I'll try this. I could reduce the list of pages retrieved with the
"where" property. But I guess that I'll have to use a large number for
the recursive property if I want, for example, to retrieve all the
pages that the title begins with the "Prod" word if the amount of
pages on my website is pretty big.

Thanks anyway.
Ernesto