[TYPO3-english] Problems with high-ASCII in front end only...

Bob bitsandbob at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 9 17:57:05 CEST 2011

Thanks Kay. It's TYPO3 4.4.6.

Looking at the rendered pages, it seems that the back-end is using
ISO-8859-1 while the front-end is using UTF-8.

Since the back-end works correctly while the front-end doesn't, I
assumed I'd need to set the front-end character set to be ISO-8859-1
too. However, that gave me two characters for each of the high-ASCII
characters!

Leaving the front-end as UTF-8 and changing the back-end to UTF-8 too
instead fixes the problem for *new* content, but any existing content
becomes corrupted - with questions marks in black diamonds in place of
the high-ASCII characters.

Do we need to choose the latter option and re-enter all our content? Or
is there a better solution?

Thanks again,

Bob