[TYPO3-dev] Globally installed extensions

Peter Niederlag typo3-list at niekom.de
Tue May 24 08:50:32 CEST 2011

Hello,

Am 23.05.2011 23:28, schrieb Thomas "Thasmo" Deinhamer:
> Hello folks!
>
> Do you use globally installed extensions
> for your TYPO3 projects? For 4.5 maybe?
>
> Would it make sense to globally install
> actively developed, stable extensions like
> realurl, formhandler, etc.?
>
> I never used them just because I never tried.
>
> Any downgrades?

Actually in theory it makes pretty much sense when you use one source
for many sites/installations. The drawback is though that updating the
ext happens at one time for all installations, which *could* require a
DB-scheme update or introduce breaking changes. That's why I don't use
it and haven't really seen anyone use it yet.

I have one typo3_src per minor version, 4-2, 4-3, ... A
Site/installation uses either one of these versions. When updating to a
new tag all sites instantly get updated, which is never a problem as it
is patch level release only with no breaking changes and no db update
required.

Greets,
Peter
--