[TYPO3-dev] The extbase dilemma

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry.dulepov at gmail.com
Fri May 20 14:52:25 CEST 2011

Hi!

JoH asenau wrote:
> Exactly - but you get "paid" by means of reputation even if you don't do
> any core work, just by hanging the "core team member" flag out of your
> window.

You do not have to be a core team member to get a TYPO3 job. You have to
speak the language of the country where you want to get job and have good
TYPO3 skills. This more or less guarantees you the job related to TYPO3.

Also reputation does not buy food. So it is more for your own pride than
for anything else.

> So you get more paid projects and probably higher salaries due to the
> fact that you are a core team member and your company can use this for
> marketing as well.

I do not know about salaries, I think they are not different. I had two
jobs, one of them was because people knew who I am and I did good work for
them before. The second job is because they needed a TYPO3 expert (but they
did not look specifically for the core team member).

So being a core team member is more a flag than any real advantage.

> Unfortunately none of the clients can check if you contributed any work
> to the core within the last few years or not, which is why IMHO the core
> team should be cleaned up from time to time.

I think we have less contributors now because most core people found job in
TYPO3 agencies. Paid projects have priority over free job. If my boss tells
me I work 40h this week on a project job, I do. And in the evening I have
family.

--
Dmitry "itoldyou" Dulepov
TYPO3 core&security team member