[TYPO3-dev] The extbase dilemma

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Fri May 20 14:06:39 CEST 2011

Hi,

>> Well, I hope all devs know about the capabilities of their tools,
>> otherwise we're knee-deep in trouble.
>> What get's me thinking is this (maybe Xavier can comment on this):
>> Since MySQL has matured over the last 10 years we still only use a tiny
>> subset of its features.
>> Can someone explain to me why we don't use the full potential of the
>> database?
>
> I guess that is a case of dbal lowest common denominator for all
> possible db systems?

DBAL could be enhanced to support more features because the other
supported DBMS are (way) more powerful than MySQL, we have PostgreSQL,
Oracle and MS SQL Server. Don't tell me they don't have even more
features ;-)

But I agree DBAL does not support *much* currently. However we are
speaking about Extbase and it already abstracts SQL meaning we could get
rid of nearly all features provided by DBAL because we don't have to
parse anything, we just have to generate the corresponding SQL for the
underlying DBMS. This was already discussed. The only sensible part of
DBAL that should be reused is the remapping feature, that's all!

--
Xavier Perseguers
Release Manager TYPO3 4.6

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!