[TYPO3-dev] resize images : gd and freetype

Ismaël Bidau bidau at ensci.com
Thu May 19 10:45:31 CEST 2011

Hello,

since years, I don't install Imagemagick on my server but I use
extension jb_gd_resize. I don't need complex creation of images but only
resizing.

On my mac, PHP 5.3.3 doesn't include freetype anymore.
I know I can compile PHP myself but it is not a so simple task.

I'm just asking why TYPO3 needs freetype just for scaling image (Install
toll > Image Processing > Gd library fonction has "Fatal error Call to
undefined function ImageTTFBBox()").

And perhaps having GD2 per default to resize images is a good idea.
Nearly everybody want to resize images and it could simplified the
system requirements.
http://forge.typo3.org/issues/20107

What do you think ?

Ismaël BIDAU