[TYPO3-dev] The extbase dilemma

Daniel Brün dbruen at saltation.de
Wed May 18 21:18:07 CEST 2011

Hi again,

from the replies one might get the impression that extbase causes problems
only with huge databases. That is not the case. Every single
extbase-extension out there has the race condition problems I mentioned...
you probably just have not noticed yet.

I completely agree with Dmitry. In classic TYPO3-extensions you could easily
take care of persisting data. You could even easily access tables that have
no TCA-Configuration and take care of transactions yourself (and leverage
database-features as needed).
If you want to do so in extbase, you more or less have to say goodbye to
your domain objects. There is no reasonable middle way.
Extbase wants you to completely stay away from SQL, which can not be an
option if the relational mapper is too weak to handle basic queries.

Fluid also has some problems, but these might be easier to tackle. Fluid is
just plain slow. You can use non-existing variables and Fluid might hide the
errors from you. Fluids teamplating-paradigma is all or nothing, there is no
concept for overlays. Templates have to reside in a single directory.
Basically, there are just a bunch of annoyances that can certainly be fixed.

Cheers,
Dan