[TYPO3-dev] The extbase dilemma

Alban Cousinié lists at mind2machine.com
Wed May 18 12:42:19 CEST 2011

> b) Get real and make clear that using extbase is optional and
experimental.

>From my experience with extbase I also recommend to state clearly extbase is
currently alpha or experimental because it is obviously not yet ready for
production.
This will avoid this kind of big disapointments wich can lead into serious
trouble with clients for those who develop enterprise class projects using
extbase.

The current version number 1.3 is very missleading, because it doesn't state
the features are not fixed (that means extbase is not even beta, it is
currently alpha software) and also it doesn't state there is ascendant
compatibility : as a developers usage 1.3 means the software should be
compatible with 1.2 with added features / bug fixing.
But if compatibility is broken, then the version numbering should change to
a major version such as 2.0.
Except in the extbase case we shouldn't even have reached version 1.0.  And
in the case of version 0.8, 0.9, it is acceptable that compatibility is
broken because the software is not finalized.

As of today, if you test all the extbase extensions available on TER, 2/3 of
those do fail running properly on typo3 4.5, I assume because of the changes
in extbase implementation.
Extbase is a moving ground and can't be used yet as a serious base for
projects where stability and maintainability is a concern.

Alban