[TYPO3-dev] Dynamic type field default value on record creation based on parent record type

Thomas "Thasmo" Deinhamer thasmo at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 01:31:42 CEST 2010

Sorry for the long title, but I refused to md5-revert-camelcase it for
different reasons. ;o)

What I would like to achieve is this:

On creation of an IRRE record the type of this IRRE record should NOT be
set to the default value, but rather to a specific type, based on the
already set type value of the parent record.

This means if the actual record (parent record) is of type 'phoenix',
all newly created IRRE records also should have the initial type value
of 'phoenix' and not '0' (zero) or NULL.

It seems TYPO3 does NOT set the initial value based on the items array,
but just sets it to NULL or an empty string, if the 'default' key is not
set in the 'config' array. (Besides that, the 'default' value can only
be set to a static string, which doesn't solve the problem.)

This makes settings the initial value of the type field of the IRRE
record impossible using an itemsProcFunc, which would return ONLY the
desired type (like an array with only 1 item).

Now I was wondering if there is any solution to this? The only thing
which could work, I can think of, is a hook which would fire before the
form of the IRRE record gets rendered - there it may be possible to
manipulate the 'default' value of the type field.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot for your help,
Thomas