[TYPO3-dev] FLOW3 / TYPO3 5.0

Ries van Twisk typo3 at rvt.dds.nl
Tue Apr 27 18:39:29 CEST 2010

On Apr 27, 2010, at 10:19 AM, Irene Höppner wrote:

>> Not wanting to dive into that discussion, but there also numerous
>> tests shows that people are really creative
>> under stress, not always a optimal solution (what is optimal
>> anyways) but very creative.
>>
>> We can learn something from this aswell : http://www.ted.com/talks/tom_wujec_build_a_tower.html
>> ,
>> specially from what the kids are doing...
>>
> Yes, right :-)
> Kindergarden kids had better results then most of the adult groups
> (even CEOs ;-)).

> They have no idea how long 18 minutes are.

I think they do after all, they didn't set down and do nothing. They
got on the task.

> They probably didn't take any care of this constraint -> no
> (time-)pressure for them, they just play around with their ideas.
> Once money is introduced (it's getting serious, not a game anymore,
> pressure is real), not any of the groups gets a result (without
> former training).

They do get results as pointed out, just not so great as they hoped
for :) They think to long before they actually build something.
As clearly shown, when they are called back 6 months later they do a
lot better.

> Well, that's not was this video intentionally was about, but it
> again shows that pressure is something you should deal very
> carefully with.

Pressure is not the issue, they do good in the second trial with the
same presure (18 minutes).
The point is to make faster iterations rater then trying to engineer
the best, and then see it fall apart at the moment.
That is what the other comparable frameworks did.

> The video is about how important prototyping and playing around with
> things is to get good results. All I saw in the FLOW3 development
> is, that that's exactly what they do. But working like that means,
> that you have to break down the tower again and again to make it
> better the next time. And ppl who just have a look at it every
> minute and then say: hey there is no tower, you must be on the wrong
> way... well... :-)

The points is that kids are far more creative when under pressure ;)
Second, it's seems to be better to bring out a couple prototypes
then making the best framework by thinking about it for a long period
of times and see it collapse when put in production, not saying that
FLOW3
will collapse. As robert pointed out, no serious application
was developed except his blog and possible few other tryouts, I don't
know.

They question is: Will FLOW3 hold up in real world applications?

Given all the talk, I am curious about this myself now..

Ries