[TYPO3-dev] Caring for t3lib_utility_Client

Francois Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Fri Apr 23 15:52:40 CEST 2010

Hi all,

While working on the documentation I stumbled over the TypoScript
condition "browser". The list of client looked totally outdated so I
took a peek into the source code to see where it came from. That led me
to class "t3lib_utility_Client" and more to the point to the method
called "getBrowserInfo".

The PHPdoc states the following about this method: "Generates an array
with abstracted browser information".

Taking some real-world examples, this information seems a bit too
abstracted for me. Indeed whether you use Firefox 3.6, Safari 4 or
Chrome 5, you'll get the following result:

- browser: netscape
- version: 5

This doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. Sure all these browsers send
back "Mozilla/5.0" in their user agent string, but I would expect a
finer difference in the result. Shouldn't it really return the browser's
type (i.e. "firefox", "safari" and "chrome")?

Furthermore the class refers to some really old stuff, some of which I
even had to google (example: "AvantGo", which doesn't even exist
anymore...).

And further down there's getDeviceType(), which looks just as outdated,
to a point where one wonders whether it really still is useful or not.

What should we do with this?

Cheers

--

Francois Suter