[TYPO3-dev] TYPO3 heresy: what about "selling" pro extensions?

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry.dulepov at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 09:54:49 CEST 2010

Hi!

Olivier Dobberkau wrote:
> that is what we are doing currently with apache solr for typo3.
>
> the extension exists in a community version and in a development version
> that you can access if you pay a contribution. at the end of the
> development stands the release of a gpl version.

Just out of curiosity: does it work? (No sarcasm here, pure interest)

> on the other hand we have a lot of:
>
> - non released extensions
> - released, but not maintained extensions
> - some star extensions (tt_news, realurl ...)
>
> what i would suggest is a plugin universe like the guys a drupal do.
> this would a good possibility to judge an extension. then a pro variant
> would make sense.

But still you can't stop them from appearing anywhere for public access, right?

> and lastly i do not believe that gpl would be offended by this.

GPL allows paying but it requires that any public sources remain public. So if commercial version is released by anybody to public (like Solr dev version), you can't take it down.

Some time ago I found copies of my book in PDF for free. There was a name to whom it was licenses, etc. People pay for ebooks and violate license terms putting these ebooks for free access. With TYPO3 GPL allows legally to put everything for free. I expect people will use that chance a lot.

Does it sound realistic?

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 expert / TYPO3 security team member