[TYPO3-dev] Support of 4.1

Oliver Klee typo3-german-02 at oliverklee.de
Thu Nov 26 12:04:11 CET 2009

Hi,

Peter Russ schrieb:
>> with the release of 4.3 the "main support" for 4.1 will be discontinued.
[snip]
> What is the definition for "main support"?
>
> As we saw in the past even eldest version got supported when security
> issues arised.

I agree that the communication on the support issue has been somewhat
unclear in the past. This will change.

"Main support discontinued" in this case is: The security team or core
team will not put time into backporting the security fixes for those
versions.

Background: Backporting security fixes is a lot of work due to different
PHP version requirements and less Core functions available in older
versions. So this time-consuming task will be limited to the officially
supported versions.

Of course, this doesn't stop you from backporting the patches yourself
if you need them for older versions, or from paying someone for doing
the backports.

Best regards,

Oliver Klee, member of the TYPO3 security team