[TYPO3-dev] Performance of inline records in backend

Mark Johnston question.mark at comcast.net
Thu Nov 19 21:13:09 CET 2009

My experience is that 500 inline queries should not be expected to perform well in most
systems.  My reasoning is this:  A noticeable, but perhaps acceptable, delay in
showing the records might be 1 second.  This is speaking only of the delay due
to assembling the inline records from the database.  This implies that each
query must take 2 milliseconds (ms) on average, which would be a very fast
response time to expect by the average system.  50 to 100 ms would be much
more expected, I think.

This means that 500 queries could easily be expected to add 25 to 50 seconds
to the load time of a page, which is usually not a good thing ;).  These
times are back-of-the-envelope estimates only, but you get the idea.

Page browsing (to limit the number of separate queries) is one possible
option, as you say.  Another option might be to use AJAX to allow the outer
page to display more quickly while filling in the inner details behind the
scenes.

I hope this information might be helpful for you to consider.

     --Mark