[TYPO3-dev] Ideas solving the bloated TER problem?

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry.dulepov at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 19:31:43 CET 2009

Hi!

Jigal van Hemert wrote:
> The reason for the existence of Extbase/Fluid in 4.3 is different than
> for other MVC frameworks; being a back port of FLOW3 Extbase allows you
> to build an extension that is for a large part forward compatible with
> TYPO3 version 5 (at least that is what we've been told ;-) ).

Well, it is the same compatiblity as with using PHP for both v4 and v5: it is compatible because it is PHP. In this sense Zend Framework or CodeIgniter is also compatible with FLOW3 :)

Extbase implements some concepts from FLOW3 but naming is different, no namespaces, etc. It is NOT compatible in the sense that you can take it with Extbase and reuse easily in FLOW3.

> Moving to Extbase will mean that you can prepare your extension for T3v5
> (at least many extensions). I think that extensions which work closely
> together with core functionality (realURL, tagPack, TemplaVoila,
> indexed_search, etc.) will not profit a lot, if anything at all, from
> using extBase.
> Extensions like tt_news on the other hand contain all the functionality
> inside themselves (as far as I know the source code of tt_news).

That's very far fetched in my opinion. See my PHP example above.

I prefer to be realistic instead of over optimistic.

> But we're now moving way off from the topic of this thread...

Yes.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
"Trust me, I am a doctor!" (c) Gregory House, M.D.