[TYPO3-dev] Why have boolean database fields types like tinyint(4) etc?

Sebastian Gebhard sebastian.gebhard at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 12 09:25:38 CET 2009

Dmitry Dulepov schrieb:

> tinyint(4) is theoretically 4 bits. '0' and '1' are characters and require at least 8 bits. How they are really stored – depends ion the database engine. Regarding indexes: integer indexes are usually better than character ones.
>
> And the last thing: try to test if TYPO3 SQL parse supports ENUMs :)

I see, so there is not the ultimtive best solution for all environments. But you would agree that tinyint(1) would be better?
It's theoretically 1 bit, perfectly representing a boolean value.

I know this is really a minor issue of performance and storage, but still it's bugging me because it looks so silly.