[Typo3-dev] RfC: Making DBAL more flexible and scalable

Jan-Hendrik Heuing [DD] jh at digitaldistrict.de
Wed Aug 24 12:31:10 CEST 2005

Hello,

>> Have you tried a Mysql cluster? AFAIK it should handle such situations. I
>> don't know if there is a cluster available for PostgreSQL.
> As I wrote, MySQL cluster has some serious drawbacks for large databases
> (which we are talking about anyway): The main issue is that it's
> memory-only, i.e. you need *loads* of RAM for big databases. Moreover,
> data loss is to be expected on crashes, etc. See
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/mysql-cluster-faq.html

There is still emic networks!

They have a phantastic solution.In march 2004 we had it up and running. We
did a lot of tests. But finally... When migrating the first real project we
came to a problem: Max size for an sql-statement for replication is 65k.
This didn't work out with TYPO3-cache_pages.

They promised to fix that late 2004. We just had contact to them, and they
will get back with info if this has been fixed.

This solution is amazing, they have a very nice java-interface for
controling nodes, and it works VERY well as far as I can say from our tests.

But this is of course a commercial solution in the 10k? range... But if you
have a project of that size, it might make sense to consider...

JH