[Neos] I am sad

Bastian Waidelich bastian at typo3.org
Wed May 21 14:08:46 CEST 2014

Carsten Bleicker wrote:

Hi Carsten,

> So, let me try to explain the reasons why i had stop my neos activities [...]

Thanks for your comprehensive feedback.
I am able to relate to your feelings for the most part, I also had times
of frustration with Flow and Neos - and frankly still have in rare moments.

But I think that some of your complaints are based on invalid
assumptions regarding the decision making process, so please allow me to
respond straight:

In the Neos team we have agreed upon a set of values[1] and a rough
roadmap for the coming versions[2] and of course we feel responsible for
the health of the project. But as you know there is not company behind
TYPO3, so there is no single "decision maker" and as a result priorities
develop kind of evolutionary:
Mostly improvements only make it into the core if someone's personal
itch[3] is strong enough to go through the process (and probably the
same is true for most open source projects).

Speaking of the process.. We are aware of the fact that it is currently
not easy for "outsiders" to contribute code and people are working hard
on improving that.
But, personally, I doubt that even the best tools and workflows solve
the issue completely. Flow is a complex piece of software with
relatively high quality standards. And it will always require a certain
degree of dedication to get a feature/fix into the core. Many forge
issues or even reviews die due to the lack of feedback from the reporter.

Applying this to your concrete example:

> I give a shit on caching [...]

I had the same feeling (maybe not as harsh ;) but it turned out that
lack of caching was a blocker for real world projects - and apparently
more so than a poor built-in REST support.
Having said that, not everyone is working on the caching implementation
and I agree that proper HTTP support is very important, so...:

> Currently there is NO further work done, either conceptional or practical,
> on http handling, wich is the root of any process the Flow Framework will process.

I really wonder what makes you think this way.
A lot of issues have been addressed with the "Improved REST support"
work package[4], but there is a LOT of ongoing work on that matter[5]
and especially the "HTTP components" feature[6] will solve most of the
things you mentioned, plus make it easier to implement custom behavior.

But(!) - back to the process - most of these changes are lacking
feedback by the author and/or potential reviewers.

> But i have the feeling, that there is no interest in what i am saying

I feel you. It was a *very* frustrating experience having to rebase the
HTTP components changes again and again because they were outdated and
had almost no reviews/feedback at all. But I know the same situation
from "the other side" so in the meantime I understand that one has to
promote ones changes and "fight" for them.
On the positive side: There is no difference between you or anyone of
the "active contributors". Not even Robert can merge something without
enough reviews and votes.

Anyways, regarding better HTTP support we discussed the topics you
brought up in our last Technical Meeting[7] and I think we found some
good approaches - what a pity you couldn't join the discussion..

Phew, I didn't mean to write that much.. To conclude: you brought up
some valid points IMO and I agree that we need to get Neos closer to the
"it just works" paradigm as fast as possible in order not to frustrate
users.

Allow me one last remark though:
You wrote "The system is currently not calculatable for business usage.
So i am sad to say, that i have to go back to cms." - I wonder how any
of the mentioned issues are solved/easier to solve in TYPO3 CMS. Apart
from the general stability maybe.

Best,

[1] http://neos.typo3.org/contribute/values.html
[2] http://neos.typo3.org/roadmap.html
[3] This is not to say that only "fun" features make it - community
feedback, responsibility and also paid jobs can produce heavy itching ;)
[4] http://forge.typo3.org/issues/45088
[5]
https://review.typo3.org/#/q/status:open+project:Packages/TYPO3.Flow+message:http,n,z
[6] https://review.typo3.org/#/q/topic:http-components,n,z