[Neos] Rebranding Neos and Licensing

Dominique Feyer dfeyer at ttree.ch
Thu May 1 11:29:04 CEST 2014

Dear community,

For our TYPO3 Flow Saas project we plan to integrate Neos on top of it to handle the CMS side of the projet and allow more flexibility to our customer.

In this project we need for communication and branding constancy to replace the Neos login box, with our own and use a slightly updated backend theme to match our brand. So we need to partially rebrand Neos. We will communicate clearly that we are using Neos and the UI will be the Neos UI. As you know, I’m involved in the Neos development at that’s for a me a big opportunity to have a full time job dedicated to a Neos based service. So we will continue to support Neos by contributing, reviewing, testing and spreading the world that’s Neos is an awesome tools.

Our current questions are:

1. How do you feel about a partially rebranded Neos ? What about any licensing issue about that ?

2. What about any problems with the GPL licensing of Neos ? A lots of our application code are proprietary. We will release some decoupled packages, but the main part of the application business logic will stay proprietary. With TYPO3 Flow it’s not an issue as we use the LGPL, but with Neos the GPL is a viral license. In our case it’s a risk. We have some competitor in the market and if some of them try to force us to publish our code (because we depend on Neos), it should be a risk that our partner will not feel good. Currently the Symfony ecosystem use a MIT licensing (for every component and CMF too) to avoid this kind of problem. So here is the big question why not moving Neos to LGPL … or MIT ?

Now the discussion is open ;) everybody is really welcome

Bests

--
ttree sàrl
Dominique Feyer