[Neos] Exceed maximum nesting level of 100, thats insane!

Philipp Gampe philipp.gampe at typo3.org
Mon Feb 3 00:25:22 CET 2014

Hi Alexander,

Alexander Egorov wrote:

> It is really insane: first setup run took about 5 minutes. But more than
> that: the setup failed because of too many nested calls! The memory usage
> on last call is about 60MB! Thats an absurd. It is impossible to use this
> CMS. You should definetely do something with that. I'm not going to tweak
> my php config, because I will have no possibility to do this on my
> hosting.

This is pretty common for modern applications, especially with looping
calls. TYPO3 CMS has the same issue if you run some complex operations.

The first usage needs to warm up several caches. This takes a while and also
stretches the possibilities of PHP.

You should set the max_nesting_level to at least 500.

If you cannot tweak your PHP settings, ask your host for this. If your
hoster does not want to change this, switch your hoster. Seriously, any
hoster should support modern frameworks which actually makes use of the
advanced possibilities of PHP.

You can only reduce the number of nesting levels if you write longer
procedural, condition functions. This is not how "good" code is supposed to
be written because this is very error prone. Therefore Neos uses many
smaller functions which results in an high nesting of function calls.

Best regards
TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!