[Neos] [Team] Neos 1.2 / Flow 2.3 Feature Freeze

Robert Lemke robert at typo3.org
Mon Aug 11 15:32:07 CEST 2014

Hi Neos team,

as you may know, Aske raised the topic of postponing the feature freeze for Neos 1.2 during a hangout and on IRC (which implies postponing Flow 2.3, too). I think I fully understand the motivation behind this, and personally I'd love to squeeze in a few more features related to content translation. But from a non-personal standpoint I think that postponing the feature freeze is dangerous.

The reasoning behind our new release cycle was that

 - we need more regular releases so everybody can plan in Neos updates into their project and knows when an already merged feature will be part of a stable release
 - we can't foresee nor want to restrict ourselves in the amount of time we need to stabilize a beta version

therefore we agree on not fixing a release date but fixing a feature freeze date.

All features which are merged until that date will be part of the next release. We have some time (agreed roughly on 4 weeks) to stabilize / fix bugs until a stable release.
Those features which are partly merged and thus not fully functional will be disabled by a feature switch and their full release is postponed to the next version.

Let's just check what remains as a valid reason for postponing a feature freeze. In my opinion the only valid reason would be that we have absolutely no interesting and already merged feature for that release.
Can you think of more reasons?

Let's discuss this here and then find a good consensus.


Robert Lemke
Lead Developer TYPO3 Neos and TYPO3 Flow
Co-Founder TYPO3 Association

Blog: robertlemke.com
Get involved: typo3.org – flow.typo3.org – neos.typo3.org

More information about the Neos mailing list