[Neos] Pupose Of The Migration Folder

Dominique Feyer dfeyer at ttree.ch
Mon Aug 11 12:41:23 CEST 2014

Hi Krys,

In Flow or Neos you can have different migration:

1. Doctrine (database related)
2. TYPO3CR (Content Repository related)
3. Code (PHP related)

To be short migration can automatically update your database based on change in the database or code.

For Doctrine you can use the CLI utility. For TYPO3CR and code migration, it’s a manual operation to create migration script.

Migration are really useful when you deploy your application, because the database or CR structure migration can be applied automatically (same thing if your work with multiple developer). Doctrine or TYPO3CR migration are related to your data structure.

Check the document about Doctrine migration here:
http://docs.typo3.org/flow/TYPO3FlowDocumentation/stable/TheDefinitiveGuide/PartIII/Persistence.html

Code migration is a bit different. In the case you open source a package that contain a nice utility, and you decide the change the public API, by per ex. renaming some function. You can write a code migration script that will help your user to update their own code to match your new API.

Hope that clarify the use case of the difference migrations.

--
ttree sàrl
Dominique Feyer
dfeyer at ttree.ch