[Neos] Re: WCM in 2017

Jacob Floyd cognifloyd at gmail.com
Thu May 30 17:29:34 CEST 2013

As far as preview goes, I agree that we don't want to restrict what "preview" modes are available. There are a lot of devices out there, having a preview for each variant quickly becomes unscalable. Who is going to flip through 15 different views of their content while editing? Maybe the designer. Probably not the content creator or content editor.

Current trends suggest a move away from particular viewport sizes. You can't guarantee that a device is a phone based on the screen size, because there are phones with crazy screen sizes (see this @snugug video: http://youtu.be/-BVmrSG93XE ). Twitter Bootstrap 3 will be mobile-first ( https://github.com/twitter/bootstrap/pull/6342 ).

So, though the view menu will be important in Neos--the one that lets you switch views between phone, tablet, desktop, or SEO--the options should be customizable per site. One site will have a different set of target viewport sizes than another. One View might be based on accessing the site with touch, while another with a mouse. Plus the view could change based on any other random feature that a particular site needs to target.

I have additional thoughts about inline-editing, but I'll save those for later.