[Neos] [Team] Procedure for setting target version

Robert Lemke robert at typo3.org
Tue May 21 13:53:56 CEST 2013

Hi folks,

as I just was going through all (well most ...) of the open Flow issues,
I remembered that we still need a plan for when to set the target
version and to which version. So, here's what I'm currently doing and
what I suggest for the future:

- all new issues should have _no_ target version set unless they have
been screened by a team member.

- if an issue should go into a certain branch, a team member selects the
version of the next release for that branch (for example "2.0.0")

- if you want to finally release a branch you can also decide to
postpone a non-critical bug fixes to the next patch level version
(trying to release "2.0.0", so postpone the bug issue to "2.0.1")

- you cannot target features to patch level releases (2.0.1, 2.0.2, ...)

- if a feature should go into some future version which is not being
worked on yet, you set it to the generic branch version, for example
"2.x" and "3.x"

- when planning the next version, the release manager + team goes
through issues from "2.x" and sets versions to the actual version, for
example "2.2"

In general any team member can help setting target versions, but the
release manager of a version should keep an overview of what goes into
his release.

Certainly missed some points, but just posted this as a reminder (for
myself).

Cheers,
Robert

--
Robert Lemke
Lead Developer TYPO3 Neos and TYPO3 Flow

Blog: robertlemke.com
Get involved: typo3.org – flow.typo3.org – neos.typo3.org