[TYPO3-50-general] Integrating the FormBuilder into Phoenix

Jacob Floyd cognifloyd at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 22:59:49 CEST 2012

On Monday, June 4, 2012 7:09:26 AM UTC-6, Florian Scholz wrote:

> I've found out that the FormBuilder FLOW3 package is not yet integrated
> into Phoenix as a Backend Module.
> What are the plans to do so?
>
> Are there any docs or could someone point out how to get into developing
> backend modules for Phoenix?
> I'm pretty new to Phoenix and not yet so familiar with the code base.

The Phoenix docs that are available are in the repository under the
"Documentation" folder.
http://git.typo3.org/FLOW3/Packages/TYPO3.TYPO3.git?a=tree;f=Documentation

This talks about Beckend Module UI:
http://git.typo3.org/FLOW3/Packages/TYPO3.TYPO3.git?a=blob;f=Documentation/Development/UserInterface/BackendModules.rst

If you're dealing with something that touches the Content Module, then this
is the guide you want:
http://git.typo3.org/FLOW3/Packages/TYPO3.TYPO3.git?a=blob;f=Documentation/Development/UserInterface/ContentModule.rst

That's about it as far as documentation goes.

Personally, I envision a Design tab in the backend:

Social | Content | Management | Design | Reporting | Administration

In the Design tab, I'd love to see a kind of Fluid IDE - a mix between
TYPO3.FormBuilder and the TemplaVoila Wizard where you can take a template
file, pick out the elements in the design that should be a partial, a
template, or a general layout, and drag and drop Various Fluid widgets
(like say a menu, or a login form) to help build out the site in a very
designer (read: non-developer) friendly experience.

I think that such a general purpose Fluid Template Builder could (even
should) be based on (or use, or include) the Form Builder. My PoV: A Form
is just a special category of fluid template that uses the Form Engine as a
super-duper View Helper. So, I think the Form Builder is a part of the
Design tab.
Or another way to think about it:
A Form is a kind of widget (an element) that can be inserted into a page.
You can Design sites (layout), or Design specific branches of a site
(templates), or specific elements on that site (Forms). That concept could
be extended so that you can "Design" your own elements. Forms are a unique
element in that they are also frequently used in the backend as parts of
Modules or in the property panel, etc. Even so, a Form is still an element
that is inserted into the Backend Layout at some point. A Form is something
that is 'designed'.

So, I'm not sure I like the idea of the Form Builder becoming its own
Module in the Phoenix Backend. [*]

What does everyone else think? Where do Templates, Forms, and other
visual/layout/element things go?

Cheers,
Jacob Floyd

[*] Assuming a module = a tab in the topbar of the backend. Am I using the
right terminology?
http://git.typo3.org/FLOW3/Packages/TYPO3.TYPO3.git?a=blob;f=Documentation/Development/UserInterface/contentmodule/ui_parts.png
An extension, might add buttons to a toolbar, the launcher, or the
properties panel, or it might add the FormBuilder stuff to the Design
Module.
Some (special) extensions might add a module for a custom client app, but
in general, I would lean towards having fewer modules and integrating
features into other parts of Phoenix.