[TYPO3-50-general] The successor of TCA?

Thomas Maroschik tmaroschik at dfau.de
Tue Jul 6 09:39:34 CEST 2010

On T3DD10 I talked with Sebastian Kurfürst regarding XUL as the
successor of the View layer of TCA. I would like to release the topic
for discussion.

If the data binding is completely mapped by domain models. XUL could be
used for form-view-templates. By this way you could avoid Ext-Direct
calls in controllers and create an abstract view template for data sets
on per data set type base (e.g. individual views for news and calender
items). Within XUL might also be fluid for special cases and thus be
used in the XML-metric. The advantage of XUL would be the simple
validation through schemas and preview functionality in Firefox or Gecko
browser similar to HTML templates. Further, there are some IDEs that
assist you in writing/designing the stuff: https://wiki.mozilla.org/XUL:IDE

For the XUL templates a renderer could be written that outputs ExtJs. As
far as I've seen there are many similarities between components. Next
XUL is extendable with your own components. For alternative backends the
view could be sent to another renderer that outputs for example an
iphone backend. The form logic would be the same.

I would appreciate feedback. I suspect that this topic from the
beginning is not met with great acceptance because XUL is still not as
popular as it should.

Tom