[TYPO3-50-general] Aloha Editor - Editing multiple records in the BE

Denyerec denyerec at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 17:41:55 CEST 2010

Hi there,
Hope I don't get my hands bitten for posting here, but I was reading the
Sprint 3 notes and had a poke around with Aloha and wondered if the
following use-case had been considered:

Using the Typo3 v4 List module, one can display a custom selection of
fields simultaneously, EG show page titles and, say, the page abstracts.
You can then go ahead and edit all of them in one go, hitting save and
performing multiple updates at once. This is _very_ powerful and saves
editors a great deal of time. With the current RTE, although it places
load on the browser, you can achieve this with current content elements as
it loads N instances of the RTE. Aloha floats near your content "in page",
but in the backend the "in page" context doesn't make much sense to me, as
you're no longer looking at the page "As it is", but as a discreet
collection of form fields.  Couple that with the fact that in-page content
editing almost never works properly on sites with complex layouts/CSS, in
all browsers (If someone can point me to a real-world example that works
flawlessly, please do), I hope there are plans for a more traditional "BE
Editing" setup.

My query is, Aloha seems to be an "in place" content editor, so will there
be a "backend" RTE of similar style to the one we have currently, will it
be some modified version of aloha, or is this something that is still
"TBC".

Apologies for being curious :)
Denyer

--