[TYPO3-50-general] RFC: Improved Shorthand Syntax

Martin Kutschker masi-no at spam-typo3.org
Tue Oct 20 15:19:35 CEST 2009

Sebastian Kurfürst schrieb:
> Hey everybody,
>
> I've been thinking again over the syntax, and overally, I still like it
> very much.
>
> There is just one thing I am not really sure about: Should we use -> or
> | for chaining?

Reasons:

* it is shorter
* the functionality resembles more shell chaining then function chaining ( for the tech savvy)
* it is used by Smarty for modifiers (but this could be a con for some)

I'm no big fan of a syntax that resembles too close PHP (or other programming languages). It might
deceive programmers (instead of helping them) and doesn't help those template authors who cannot
code (and shouldn't be required to do).

Masi