[TYPO3-50-general] RFC: Improved Shorthand Syntax

Bastian Waidelich bastian at typo3.org
Mon Oct 19 12:03:54 CEST 2009

Sebastian Gebhard wrote:

Hi Sebastians,

> as TYPO3 4.3 is in beta phase now, don't you think it's too late for
> such big changes?

I agree, it _is_ quite late for such radical changes.. Nevertheless, I
think we shouldn't be too strict in this case.

> Would the changes get into 4.3? If not, people will get used to the
> current shorthand syntax.

Exactly, now or never I'd say.

> 4.3 should be the beginning of a "path" to V5. If Fluid has
> strong differencies in these, this would not help developers.

The Fluid syntax will be the same for v4 & v5 for sure! Either we change
both or none.
We've never promoted the shorthand syntax by intention because we
weren't perfectly happy with it yet. If anyone already made use of the
shorthand syntax in their own extensions, they must have been aware of
the fact that it still is subject to change (btw: updating templates is
just a matter of a regex search & replace).

After brainstorming for a long time last week we came up with the new
syntax and we're quite happy that we found a consistent solution
eventually - So I hope we can still get this into 4.3.

Bastian