[TYPO3-50-general] git and a Package Repository

Thomas Allmer at at delusionworld.com
Tue May 19 19:36:26 CEST 2009

Bastian Waidelich wrote:
> Thomas Allmer wrote:
>> just watch this really awesome presentation about git.
>> http://www.gitcasts.com/posts/railsconf-git-talk
>> [...]
>> as it might be interesting in particular for the use in a Package
>> Manager.
>
> That is really interesting stuff! and possibly not only for the F3PR but
> maybe even for a future development process.. Especially the different
> types of workflows (@ 0:48) are worth to be considered IMO.

I find to be more robust and more flexible as you can commit, view
history, checkout different tags/versions without using a "public"
server as you have your own server... And you can have as many tags as
you want and you don't have different directories for that...

after some time I find now more intuitive as you don't have to think in
trunk, tags and braches and you are really encouraged to use
different/multiple branches for different parts of development...

I would be glad to see a switch :p

>> So what do you think about using the git to supply multiple Versions of
>> Packages in the Package Repository?
>
> Sounds reasonable to me..
> Though for the end user/dev git seems to be too complicated to use
> (yet). But it hopefully has a better API than svn so s.o. could write a
> Git-Package. Fancy starting that? ;)

I will definitely need something like this as I don't want to save
multiple Version of a Plugin...

For a Git Client I'm not sure what would be the benefit?

I mean what I would do for the PR is that you just push to the git
repository and the PR will check for special tags like "Release[v0.0.3]"
or similar... All these tags will be visible at the PR webpage.

For people who don't have git installed they can just use the "regular"
TYPO3 way. Just hit the upload to PR button and the server will do the
rest (basically just update all the files, do a git commit and tag it
with a new Release)

cheers