[TYPO3-50-general] CGL regarding php closing tag

Karsten Dambekalns karsten at typo3.org
Tue Jun 9 20:31:06 CEST 2009

Hi.

On 09.06.2009 18:49 Uhr, Joerg Schoppet wrote:
> Is there a special reason, why in the FLOW3 coding guidelines there is
> the need to have the php closing tag "?>" ?

We discussed that a while ago, so it's in there on purposer. Why?
Because it makes clear that this is the intended end of the file. It's a
clear message and clean style.

> I'm asking because there was just an error because of an empty line
> after a closing tag in extbase.

Funny, I personally *never* had such an issue, not even with foreign
code. I stumbled over quote some short open tag problems, but never with
trailing whitespace...

> Just checking the ZendFramework Coding Guidelines I found the following:
> http://framework.zend.com/manual/en/coding-standard.php-file-formatting.html

Yes. Wow. I know. I mean, if they don't trust themselves to not produce
spurious whitespace, how do they expect to produce clean code? SCNR.

Regards,
Karsten