[TYPO3-50-general] extJS Library

Thomas Allmer at at delusionworld.com
Sat Jan 31 13:39:47 CET 2009

Thomas Fritz wrote:
> Such a case can be a web application within a companys intranet. It is
> important that the application works like it should work on the browsers
> they use - Thats it. Of course, especially in such web applications
> technical design is very important. Even though i am not really a fan of
> creating the whole HTML Markup with Javascript but whats wrong about it?
> When it is the right way to do it in a specific situation - why not?

Generally you are right, and if you create an application for an
specific company with specific needs you can do that. However we are
talking about TYPO3v5 here right? And I guess it should be widely supported.

Another reason (besides progressive enhancement) why I want to have a
HTML version is that everyone has the same base. I mean with javascript
you can do pretty much everything - create a thousand divs and add a
bunch of inline style. If you are doing everything in js you will also
have to reproduce this create layout code (with every framework, or even
native javascript). So provide a common base - people should try to
stick to it and enhance it - don't throw everything away and start all
over again.

So if I want to use another javascript code I don't want to recreate all
the html, I just want to replace my javascript nothing more.

> But the point is - a Framework should never dictate too much. And thats also
> true for JavaScript Frameworks. So as i said in the beginning i think a good
> abstraction layer which works for the most popular javascript frameworks
> should be a first goal. And on top of such a layer there can be an ExtJS
> Integration, a MooTools Integration and so on so you can work with FLOW3 and
> in every case you can choose the _right_ tools to work with.

I was more talking about TYPO3v5 here as with FLOW3 you can of course
choose you js-framework with every project you realize?

I guess using a common HTML is some sort of a abstraction layer? Create
HTML, use this javascript and you get it to work with Ext or use this
and you get it to work with MooTools. The base HTML should never change!
I think of javascript more like a layer on top of the HTML like css.
Change all the css and you still get same content although it look
completely different. I don't want different content because I use a
different javascript code. And I don't want TYPO3v5 to be just js code.

cheers