[TYPO3-50-general] RFC: Short filenames

Robert Lemke robert at typo3.org
Wed Jan 28 10:09:18 CET 2009

Hi Nino,

Am 27.01.2009 um 18:58 schrieb Nino Martincevic:

>> Permitting users to put files
>> wherever they please with no definitions would surely be a code
>> management nightmare?
>
> I am not putting files "anywhere". And even If I'd do it wouldn't
> matter
> much. I also try to organize it someway, but in packages that
> communicate concepts of my problem space, not any external conventions
> that have nothing to do with my problem.
> Something like ControllerHelper does not communicate anything for my
> world-famous GroceryShop...

In theory, FLOW3 allows you to store your class files wherever you like,
even on a remote site accessible through ftp. In practice however you
want your application to perform well. If you follow the directory and
filename conventions of FLOW3, you get rewarded by a much faster class

> The key to all this is:
> Try to build the core of an application (the domain) with no database,
> no framework, no UI (technology) and no infastructural things in mind.
> If it just works by itself than it is good. Sure, you have to put some
> or all of the things into play.
> But if you keep your domain as encapsulated and persistance- and
> reporting ignoring as possible, it will work with small change on
> every
> system. Well, that's also one of the key concepts in OOP,
> encapsulation
> and low coupling, interfaces over implementation, isn't it?
> That's the reason why Flow3 offers AOP and DI/IoC.

Correct. Although there are many conventions for the rest of the code,
the only requirement we have for the Domain Layer is: Write clean code,
if possible follow the DDD paradigm.

> Sure this is only possible to a certain kind of degree but THAT should
> be your real work.
> When the other "systems" come into play I don't want to spend much
> time
> on them, this is not by business. My business is my problem domain.

Correct. And the controller and the view - if you don't want an
application
or website off the peg.

>> I would have thought that if you have written a whole pile of FLOW3
>> code, that choosing another framework would require refactoring
>> beyond
>> simply renaming or relocating the files anyhow, so is that really a
>> concern ? I don't pretend to know anything about the end code of a
>> FLOW3 package yet, so please be gentle!
>
> If you do it right, not that much.
> E.g. if you have a (thin) persistance adapter you could use every
> ORM/AR
> or whatever behind it. You'll just have to rewrite the mappings.
> And if you have thin controllers in a MVC frameworks, just delegating
> commands and queries to your applications services (sometimes known as
> "Model" or Application Layer), you could take that code and write
> hand-made front controllers. It would work again.

In fact Sebastian is currently using FLOW3 with Doctrine instead of the
TYPO3CR. It works - although Doctrine is better used for Active Record
than for Domain Models ...

Cheers,
robert