[TYPO3-50-general] RFC: Short filenames

Robert Lemke robert at typo3.org
Wed Jan 28 10:01:21 CET 2009

Hi Thomas,

Am 27.01.2009 um 19:59 schrieb Thomas Allmer:

>> Denyer Ec wrote:
>>> I think I follow what you're saying, but isn't one of the
>>> priciples of
>>> a framework to allow "convention over configuration" (I'm sure I've
>>> heard that buzz-phrase somewhere...). Permitting users to put files
>>
>> Before the all-shines-so-bright RoR time and the 12355 clone
>> frameworks
>> that followed in the PHP world this term was not that common.
>> At first a framework is something that tries to solve recurring
>> problems
>> (or brings in new ones...).
>> Convention or not isn't important.
>
> how about:
>
> use this convention and you don't need to configure anything.
>
> If you want to do whatever comes to your mind you also have to
> configure
> it. So it combines the best of both worlds?
>
> Configuration always is an extra step and if I like the convention why
> not use it...
> If I port something from another framework, I don't need to rename
> everything I just need to configure it properly.

Exactly.

Conventions are an important aspect of FLOW3. As long as a developer
sticks
to the conventions (use the suggested file structure, controller names,
annotations etc.) he doesn't have to configure anything. However, it
is possible
to ignore (most of) the conventions and configure the framework
differently.

The compromise we've chosen is to have a set of conventions on the one
side
(which is framework specific) but support a Domain Layer which is, as
far as
possible, framework agnostic.

Domain-Driven Design is, in fact, a set of conventions itself. The
whole concept
of Entities, Value Objects, Aggregates, Repositories, Services etc. is
based
on conventions.

Conventions are important for any project which exceeds the 1-
developer limit.
Imagine you're working on a big FLOW3 based project and need some
help. Just
post a job offer to some portal stating that you need a developer with
PHP,
DDD and FLOW3 skills. If FLOW3 wouldn't offer conventions, the latter
requirement
wouldn't be of any use because everybody would be using FLOW3 so
differently
that it would require big efforts to get familiar with the code.

Look at a forum of some popular framework like Spring. Just search for
"configuration
hell" or "xml hell" and you know what I mean.

FLOW3 should and hopefully will run out of the box (like TYPO3 v5).
Don't care
about persistence, security, logging - all the infrastructure - as
long as you
follow the conventions.

Cheers,
robert