[TYPO3-50-general] RFC: Short filenames

Denyer Ec denyerec at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 18:11:33 CET 2009

> The files are not "out of context", they are the context - a GroceryShop is a class GroceryShop, a file PurchaseOrder is a class for purchasing orders and a ProductIsOutOfStockSpecification is a....,
>
> In fact your example is the opposite of it.
> You are right saying that the path in such naming conventions gives you the context.
> But what I'm saying is: something external (framework, conventions, technology) determines your context, not your domain (model) - or better: not what you really wanted to develop, your client or the problem you try to solve does it.

I think I follow what you're saying, but isn't one of the priciples of
a framework to allow "convention over configuration" (I'm sure I've
heard that buzz-phrase somewhere...). Permitting users to put files
wherever they please with no definitions would surely be a code
management nightmare?

> Choose another framework or scheme and you have a problem.
> Happy renaming!

I would have thought that if you have written a whole pile of FLOW3
code, that choosing another framework would require refactoring beyond
simply renaming or relocating the files anyhow, so is that really a
concern ? I don't pretend to know anything about the end code of a
FLOW3 package yet, so please be gentle!

--
-------
http://gallery.denyerec.co.uk