[TYPO3-50-general] RFC: Short filenames

Denyer Ec denyerec at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 17:19:29 CET 2009

I can't speak in depth about the implications of the naming choices on
the DDD philosophy as I haven't fully understood it yet. However the
point Thomas makes above, about the filename almost identically
copying the path structure, really resonated with me. The way the
files are named at the moment would allow them to (almost) survive in
one directory-less pool of code.
Shorten the filenames and you place your faith in the directory
structure. If the directory structure is rigid, this is no problem.

Afterall, if the file Default.php exists in Shop/Classes/Controller/
does that not imply that it is, well, the default controller for the
shop class? :) If it isn't, then someone careless put the file in the
wrong place!

Of course, then you get into the debate of what does that filename
mean if you view it out of context, EG if you send the file to someone
or refer to it in documentation... Long filenames remove that
ambiguity completely, but are a pain to type ;) Of course, on
inspection of the contents of the file one could see the namespace and
thus know exactly where the file is supposed to live, but that does
mean opening it up and taking a look, something which a filesystem
tool may be unwilling to do (If such automated tools were to be used,
for example, to process only Controllers or some other such task for
some particular purpose).

Then, of course, is the issue of certain monpolotic operating systems
needing no more than 640k of memory... ;)