[TYPO3-50-general] RFC: Short filenames

Xavier Perseguers typo3 at perseguers.ch
Tue Jan 27 12:15:41 CET 2009

Hi Robert,

> I was only referring to the filenames here, the class naming scheme is a
> different topic.

Yes!

> So the question is: What should be the name of the file containing the
> class \F3\Foo\Bar\Baz ?
>
>  a) F3_Foo_Bar_Baz.php
>  b) Baz.php

I think that we should have refactoring in mind. When you use other
programming languages, you base the "full name" on the directory
structure (.NET, Java).

Refactoring is a pain with 4.x because of lack of namespace and those
FQN (I left out the "D" of FQDN :D)

>>>  - classes can't be found that easily anymore in Eclipse's resource
>>> browser which uses filenames (go to "Navigate" > "Open Resource")
>>
>> Change your editor.
>> No joke: if a software impedes me at my design work, I throw it our the
>> window and better use a text editor.
>
> Also no joke: If 99% of the software runs fine, I don't throw it away and
> work with notepad instead. So ...

Does Eclipse already support namespaces ? I guess no, at least Zend
Studio does not (guessing again). But once PHP5.3 is out (or hopefully a
bit before), this will be the case.

I truly think that we should do the best we can to help refactoring as
TDD is based on that and having to rename a file because of change of
namespace is something I would like to avoid, if possible.

--
Xavier Perseguers
http://xavier.perseguers.ch/en/tutorials/typo3.html