[TYPO3-50-general] Naming of ViewHelpers - ambiguity

Robert Lemke robert at typo3.org
Mon Jan 5 10:04:19 CET 2009

Hi Sebastian,

Am 04.01.2009 um 13:04 schrieb Sebastian Kurfürst:

> while working with Fluid today, I again stumbled over an ambiquity of
> the term "ViewHelper". We currently use it in two contexts:
> - Inside FLOW3/Classes/MVC/View/Helper
> 	These are things like an "URI Helper", etc - so more general helpers
> which you proboably need in a view
> - Inside Fluid
> 	Each special Tag in Fluid is a ViewHelper as well - but with a
> different interface (they inherit F3\Fluid\Core\AbstractViewHelper).
> They can use the view helpers above.

technically the helpers in Fluid are View Helpers as well but they serve
a specific purpose, usually to render a specific HTML tag.

Although "Tag" doesn't fit 100%, I imagine that it's more descriptive
than
just "View Helper".

"IfTag", "ElseTag", "FormTag" ... doesn't sound bad at the first try.
However
it might be misleading because it makes you think that just a <form>
tag is
rendered by the FormTag render method.

Some more names which might or might not fit:

  * element
  * component
  * brick
  * block